Planning: Keep it Simple, Focused, and Relevant
Written by The One Page Business Plan Company, on April 25, 2022
A successful planning process takes time, commitment, resources and leadership. Key features of a robust planning approach include:
- Commit to the notion that planning and plan review is a discipline worth investing in. Scrambling won’t scale!
- Appoint a company leader who likes planning and is a strong manager to be in charge of setting up the plans and driving regular review of those plans. An internal owner is needed.
- Select a resource, such as an outside planning tool, to help you develop the plan and follow a tried-and-tested methodology. Don’t re-invent the planning wheel.
- Stand up the plans quickly, so you can start using them early. They won’t be perfect, but that’s fine at the start.
- Establish a monthly plan review cadence. This is key. It’s the striving to stay on plan that creates the real value – not necessarily the plan itself. Many of our clients use our One Page System
- Every six months, reassess the plan, to incorporate continual improvements and make the plan and review process better. Continue this for 2-3 years, and planning will become increasingly effective, allowing for increasing rates of growth.
Instinct, hard work, good teams and great products – these assets can enable entrepreneurs to launch and sustain companies even without a clear strategy. The world changes minute to minute, and planning can sometimes feel like a luxury in the face of a dynamic environment.